The Writing Center offers free email tutoring to students currently enrolled in a graduate degree program.
Email tutoring is appropriate for students at all levels of mastery with any academic writing concern. In order to get the most out of our service, please keep in mind the following:
- Whether in-person or via email, students are limited to two tutorial consultations per week.
- Working with a tutor is not the same as hiring an editor. The tutor will offer suggestions for improving your paper and direction for developing your writing skills, but any revisions will be made by you.
- The tutor will spend approximately one-hour on your paper, during which time she can read and respond to no more than 7 double-spaced pages of text. (Working on a much longer paper? Our read-ahead service may suit your needs.)
- Please allow at least a 3-day turnaround time. If you have not completed a draft, send the tutor what you have completed. The suggestions she makes to a segment of your paper can often be applied to the remainder of the paper.
- In a typical email tutoring session, the tutor will focus on either mechanical issues like grammar and punctuation or content issues like argument development, organization, flow, etc. Both cannot be completed in the same session.
To get started, email your paper to GVWritingCenter@psu.edu. In the subject line, please type your last name in capital letters, followed by the word “Email Tutoring,” e.g., SMITH – Email Tutoring.
Note in the body of your email message whether you would like the tutor to focus on mechanics (i.e., grammar, usage, punctuation) or content (i.e., argument, focus, overall organization).