Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

Print out the General Student Information sheet:

Courses held at Great Valley location:   -  CPE General Student Information


ANGEL Course Management Tool

Most continuing professional education (CPE) courses utilize the Penn State University Course Management Tool (ANGEL), which enables students to electronically view assignments, access team journals, receive group mail, participate in discussion forums, etc. You will receive instruction on using this tool during your first class.  If you do not remember your User ID or password, or have any other issues with logging into the ANGEL course, please contact the Outreach Non-Credit Registration Office at 814-867-4973 or nc_reg_office@outreach.psu.edu.


The continuing professional education unit is a nationally recognized unit of measure used to accumulate a standardized permanent record of an individual’s participation in noncredit continuing professional education programs conducted under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction. Units are awarded based on a standard of one (1) unit per ten (10) hours of instructional contact.

Class Size

A maximum class size is established for all courses. Class size is determined by the facility resources. “Overbooking” is not possible. Please register early to ensure a space in the course/s you want. Please call the CPE office if you want to register for a class that is "closed". We will notify you if a seat becomes available.

Computer User Accounts - Technology Students Only

All registered CPE students enrolled in technology courses will be issued a short-term computer user account referred to as a "SLIM" account, which will expire when the course ends. This account consists of a user ID and password, which enables technology students to use lab computers. SLIM accounts are necessary to provide security for both the student and the University and are different from the PSU IDA SLIM account will be issued to each registered technology student at the first session of the course. To activate your SLIM account you will need to visit a signature station in the library (ground floor, Main) or the admissions office (first floor, Main) with a picture ID.

Course Cancellation

The University reserves the right to cancel classes because of insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances. Full refunds will be given in these instances. In such an event, you will be notified prior to the beginning of class either by telephone, mail, or email. It is important we have up-to-date addresses and phone numbers to contact you.

Course Substitutions

You may substitute a higher level course for a required course if you are already competent in an area. You may also substitute a higher level course for a required course if you have already applied a required course to another certificate. Contact the program manager for pre-approval. A maximum of two courses may be substituted in a certificate program.


An official grade report will be sent to you from University Park within three weeks after classes end. Grade letters are not issued for pass/fail courses. Contact the CPE office if your employer requires a grade letter for a pass/fail course. Please be aware that it is against University policy to release grades by telephone, fax, or email.


Certificate Programs: If a course is not listed as a “required” course, it is NOT applicable toward a certificate. Please check with the CPE office if you have any questions about prerequisites.

Individual Courses: You must complete all prerequisites required in the course description before taking a course. You may meet requirements either through course work or work experience. Instructors can evaluate work experience. Contact the program manager if you have a question. Please review our withdrawal/refund policy. No accommodations will be made if you attempt to take courses without complying with the prerequisite requirements.

Program Certificates

Students who have successfully completed all required program courses will receive a program certificate. Program certificates will be sent to the student name and address in our University system. It is your responsibility to advise the registration office of any changes in your contact information.


The social security number (SSN) you provide when you first enroll in any Penn State University (PSU) program will be used by the University to verify your identity for official record keeping and reporting. If you choose not to supply your SSN, certain services, such as transcripts, enrollment verification, Act 48 recording, etc., may not be available to you and Penn State cannot guarantee a complete academic record for you.

Your SSN will then be stored in a central system and only used for official reporting and record keeping. It will not be used as a primary source to identify you within the Penn State system. The University will assign you a PSU ID (a 9-digit number beginning with the number 9), which will be utilized as the primary identifier. It is your responsibility to retain this number and safeguard its confidentiality. The PSU ID will be requested in most Penn State transactions to identify you. This number will be on your registration confirmation. It is important that you use this same PSU ID each time you enroll in a University course to assure your course work is documented on a single transcript. If you do not remember your PSU ID, please call our registration office at 610-648-3274. 


Students can find information about required textbooks for their upcoming class by going to the Penn State Great Valley bookstore webpage, and fill in the required semester/course information under "Textbooks/Find Textbooks".


Official transcripts must be ordered from University Park with a Transcript Request form available on the campus website. There is no other way to obtain an official transcript. Penn State Great Valley administrators are not allowed to request a transcript on your behalf.

Unexpected Class Cancellation

Unexpected class cancellations will be announced via email. Please make sure the email you provide when you register is one you have access to during regular business hours. If you do not have access to email during business hours, please make arrangements with the CPE office and your instructor for alternative means of notification.